Monday, September 5, 2011

June 10, 2011 High School, Duck, Asian Photo Booths

Today was a free day for us to work on our projects.  Since I'm doing my project on education, I went to a high school to do an observation.  I attended an English, mathematics, Korean, and ethics class.  I went to 이화금란고등학교 Ewha High School.  It was the first co-educational high school in Korea.  I got to meet the principal 유승복 Yoo Seung Bohk.  He gave me a list of the school's schedule and classes that are offered.  Holy cow...they have to take so many classes.  They take chemistry, biology, physics, Korean, English, Chinese, Japanese, mathematics, ethics, history, just to name a few.  Did I mention, those classes and a few others are REQUIRED.  They're at school from 7-5 and then study after.  They don't return home until 11 or later.  Typical if you know Korean culture, super different if you're not. 

Stephen came with me because I didn't feel comfortable with my speaking ability yet.  All the students were surprised to see Americans there.  More so with Stephen, not so much with me.  I visited an English, mathematics, Korean, and ethics class.  The classes are just like any other school you see but English is different.  They have a Korean and American teacher.  In my honest opinion from observing, they should just get rid of the American teachers.  Or I felt that this one at the high school wasn't really needed.  Here's why:  the Korean teacher can speak Korean and English.  Her American accent and English speaking ability is VERY good.  Her Korean accent was gone when she spoke English.  So the American teacher is useless because the other teacher is more capable. 

This has been my opinion with language learning from what I and others have experienced; and this is lately.  Most people learn best when the teacher knows both languages well.  Those who only know one and try to teach it, it's difficult and frustrating for both parties.  Students have mentioned to me that they have had a harder time learning the language because their teacher can only speak one language.  When they want to ask a question, it's too hard for them to convey it to the teacher or the teacher doesn't understand or sometimes doesn't try to understand. 

But, that is just my opinion from what I've seen.  The other classes were a little interesting to watch because I've only seen schools and classes like theirs in the movies or from what I've heard from my mother and other Koreans. 




We got back to the temple house and the girls decided to spend time together and the guys spent time together except for Kentoria.  But we all went out for dinner together.  We went to this member couple's restaurant down the street.  Dr. Peterson is a huge fan of the duck they cook here.  I've always wanted to try duck.  Most people don't like it because it has a gamey taste but we all loved it.  It tasted more like baked ham.  It was incredible.  They had this great mustard sauce to go with it.


Duck :-)

The girls thought it would be fun to go to a photo booth and take pictures.  They have Asian photo booths which are so hilarious.  You take a couple photos and then you decorate them.  You can even change your appearance on them!  At first, we couldn't figure out how to work it because there was some Korean we couldn't figure out but we got it to work.  The downside is that you have to choose the photos and size quickly or it will choose it for you.  But we got some good ones taken.






How can you not dig Asian photo booths?  They are the best and so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment