Monday, July 18, 2011

May 27, 2011 좌절, Where Did the Time Go?

I've been in Korea for a little over a month and I have a month left here!  SAD NEWS!!  :-(  I love it here so much.  Where did time go??

Today was super frustrating.  Dr. Peterson wanted us to go see these dolmens....yay.....not really.  The idea of dolmens at first were cool but now that we've already seen them, seeing them again isn't all that exciting.  On top of that, we got split into groups and had to do language practice:  asking for directions on how to get to the dolmens.  It was me, Benjamin, Stephen.  Michelle, Derek, and Kenwood.  Victoria, Rachael, and Juni.  We each had to take a different bus number that was going to the dolmens but the seniors/return missionaries made us ask for it in Korean.  However, we weren't quite comfortable asking directions yet.  What didn't help was that Stephen thought helping Benjamin and I know Korean was not saying anything at all and figuring it our on our own.  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  Benjamin and I got frustrated and told Stephen that he needs to help us, not abandon us completely.  The difficult thing about the location of the dolmens is that not only is it far away and a couple hours by bus but you have to transfer.  For a while, we had no idea of where we were going. 

Finally, we got there....and it started raining.  Good thing I had my umbrella.  I actually don't mind the rain.  I love it because I hate hot weather.  They had a little museum and then a few dolmens at the location.  We just looked around because we've seen and studied dolmens before.  There wasn't anything special because we already knew of it.



In case you don't know what a dolmen is, they are early editions of tombs people would bury the dead in.  Dolmens have been considered a treasure here in Korea because not only are they centuries old explaining about civilization, but there are many preserved here in Korea.


I wanted to practice photography with my camera.  Isn't that cool?  It's a spider web!

We walked around for a restaurant because we were starving.  We found this Chinese restaurant nearby.  Yeah, we're in Korea eating Chinese food.  Lame!  Actually, it wasn't lame.  Chinese food prepared by Korean people is amazing.  :-)  This restaurant was especially good and they were so kind to us.  I don't think they get a lot of business and so when we came in, they were extra nice to us.  They gave us free 군만두 dumplings which I adore and they gave us a discount on our meals. 

Since no one knew this area well, it was hard to find transportation back.  I think we searched for a good 30 minutes to find a bus.  Transportation I think has been the majority of today.  Although it's pretty to look at, sitting in a vehicle for long periods of time and doing it for many days is exhausting. 


"5 Bums on a Bench".  This is our band name.  While we were waiting for the bus, we were really tired and so a couple of us sat on the bench.  Someone mentioned that we look like an alternative band and to pose for our debut cover.  Doesn't this look legit?  :-)  These are our positions based on Korean pop bands haha:  Michelle - Leader (she's the oldest).  Kenwood - Prince (he's a descendant from 김수로왕 King Kim Suro).  Stephen - Sturdy.  Julianne - Flaming Charisma Glare.  Victoria - 막내 Youngest (mang-nae).

No comments:

Post a Comment